Papers, and a challenge

I finally found time to do what I have wanted to do for years, namely updating my papers page to be in a consistent, organized, and user-friendly state. I ended up making my own Python script that generates the HTML based on information about the papers, so this means that I should be able to easily maintain, or even improve, the page. Of course, I’m happy to share the script if someone wants it.

On a different note, I have been thinking for a while about what makes a data mining problem hard. In particular, the problem of finding frequent itemsets is equivalent to finding, in a 0-1 matrix, large submatrices with only 1s. At the bottom of the papers page I have added what I believe is a hard such instance. Even though the instance can be encoded in 450 bytes (or 62 bytes compressed), and the answer sought in just 7 bytes, I believe that solving it will require algorithmic advances and/or use of massive parallelism. Of course, I will be happy to hear from anyone who solves it, or tries to.

0 Responses to “Papers, and a challenge”


  1. No Comments

Leave a Reply

You must login to post a comment.